28 October, 2011

Delta, Alpha, Bravo!

I don't know if it's insomnia, that full pot of French roast I drank with a glass of grapefruit juice, that nap till 21h that crept up on me, my cat bouncing off the walls or just my mind racing, but 40 minutes in bed and my mind is still racing...hopefully some late night writing and a generous glass of Sazerac will let me sort through part II in dreams.

I've still been sifting over some of the unstructured questions I nothing short of listed relating to change and interpersonal alteration. What might motivate it; whether it is even manifestly possible or just a kind of perception/interpretation; if so, what might motivate it or bring about. Additionally (or conversely) how does this compare and relate to macro or global change? Do our actions actually account to meaningful change?

What is movement if not basic entropy?

As much as I am loathe to breach into appealing to a notion such as 'nature' perhaps that is simply what lies at heart of things. Some people have change in their personality; some kernel of their being is driven toward flux and readjustment. For them the change is adaptive: hair color; social groups; persuasions, opinions and leanings; habits; et cetera. Of course change is independent of the entity it manifests through. I suppose I mean to gander at whether one creates change in their own myriad of daily, weekly, yearly events and happenings or whether they just adapt to it. Clearly being a neither/nor kind of response, I still wonder what might constitute one for the other. I suppose I really comes down to the ways in which we make change for ourselves: those who move toward goals and move in jerks, those who move to another city, go to college out of state, study abroad; those whose change is mercurial--moods, friends, romantic partners. But perhaps these arbitrary distinctions appeal more to the notion of consistency. We probably just change to try and find something stable, consistent and regular.

I never promised any structure or clarity.

And what of the change in the global sense? I would like to look at history and argue yes; but the history of the present year remains dubious. Looking at Libya and what seems to be unambiguous execution of Muammar Gaddafi as an example: the rebels fought fiercely to overthrow the dictator that had been the mercurial face of Libya for several years. Perhaps ironically, Gaddafi came to power after a successful and blodless coup d'état. Not to argue against the numerous brutalities for which Gaddafi and his regime are doubtless responsible, but simply to post a wrench in the spokes of the notion that 'history' is progressive....

Or take the Occupy Wall Street 'protests' (or are they just glorified sit-ins and tailgate parties? I'm not yet sure...): they aim at addressing...well, let's try and make a list of what they represent:

-First and foremost, they aren't big fans of Capitalism: an economic system or ideology that promotes a free, unregulated market that I would (although callously) call 'Economic Darwinism'. The most natural consequence of this that it creates a fierce competition for the best (or best marketed and monopolized) products and markets. A system that put Western states and sovereign states in the financial power and has had a (perhaps infectious) 'trickle down' effect on political, global and social policies.

-As a consequence of this system, there is an 'unequal' distribution of wealth. Ergo the 99% slogan that has been adopted. Which works toward the idea that there is a small (1%?) of the population that controls (with hidden hands) some large majority of the wealth leading to greed, corruption, human rights violations, etc, etc...

-Oh, and pretty much every other issue present in the United States that is particularly clear for any individual making less than $50k/year (give or take...ish)


....and what is every one doing but 'Occupying' public parks and squares in major cities and chanting what one individual says en masse. If they were to get more women and children in the park and build walls, they would almost certainly be met with firebombs and tanks.

Anyway, that rye is letting me get carried away. I want to keep things outlined by history. Shockingly similarly, there are the Tea Party 'protests' (or rallies) that consist of an entirely different demographic, but really are attempting to refute a similar trend or problem (if you get kind of abstract and creative...woot! Liberal Arts!).

I want to bring to the par that, despite the fact that we have a black president, we are living in strikingly 'conservative' times. I had a long conversation not last week about how much I admire the time period from 1871-1912 as it seemed to be the most 'liberal' period under which the world (ie our perception of the world, the western world) was under what I view as the most circumspect and self-informed renaissance. Which is not to argue its accuracy, merely its inspiration, strength and brilliance. It seems freedom was more free then and we might just be rediscovering this again after....well, another 100 years war. Just sayin'...

Oh yes, and, while I'm at it: Debt, bailout, unemployment, healthcare, revolt, war (seems to be declining until we declare war on Iran in a couple of months...), 2012 election, famine, natural disasters, technology, death, birth....

I just hope we might happen to stumble on something new....

1 comment:

  1. I'll be honest; I didn't read all of this. It's actually a miracle I read any of it because you don't notify anyone anymore when you update your blog like you used to. Or maybe I've just subconsciously learned to ignore any notifications you might have made that you updated your blog.

    But anyway, to the point: I believe that a person's ability to make substantial changes comes down to a matter of degree, and I've selfishly decided a long time ago that I'm one of those people who changes a lot. Take me as a case study. I believe that about every three years, I'm in a completely different chapter of life than I was before. (Maybe that time span will elongate as I get older, but who knows? The three year turnaround has held constant for over 15 years.) For instance, three years ago I was 22 years old. I was a junior in college. I had just started working at this schizo group home over the summer. I thought I knew everything there was to know about that job because I happened to live there at some time in another chapter of my life. I still had an aspiration of studying philosophy at the graduate level. If you would have asked me about law school, I would have adamantly claimed that the last thing I would ever do is enter law school (and that was a genuine belief).

    And now, none of that is true. And three years prior to when I was 22, barely any of the stuff that was true of me then was true of me at 22. And it goes back and back and back in the same fashion.

    A similar thing occurs on a non-temporal level with interactions with different people, as you alluded to. But I think those changes in personality go beyond a "Joey is X at work, Joey is Y at school, and Joey is X amongst friends" type of differentiation scheme. For example, I can be the silliest person with Aaron and the silliest person with you, but that silly person looks very different between the two of you. Yet, you are both people that I hold dearly to my heart, for better and/or worse. And perhaps more significantly, I would never be silly as a student or in front of certain other "friends."

    So I don't know what my point here was, and that's probably because I'm finishing a bottle of the most excellent 2009 Rhone Valley Grenache/Syrah mix. But as you know, I'll be in town tomorrow night and maybe Saturday night, so maybe you can quiz me on what my point was and I'll figure it out.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete